random notes about linux compilation:
0) If you're gentoo user, try ebuild located at http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172772
1) This game must be built with scons build system, no matter you like it or not. You
have no choice. Autotools & family is stupid crap and I hope it'll die soon.
2) if you have some cheap audio hardware without hardware mixer, ALSA project
might help you. Just put this lines into your ~/.openalrc or /etc/openalrc :
(define devices '(alsa))
(define speaker-num 2)
(define alsa-out-device 'default')
(define sampling-rate 44100)
usually "alutInit: There was an error opening the ALC device" error message
indicates such problems.
3) build requirements (you need development packages for this libraries too,
consult your distro's documentation for details):
`) g++ (at least 3.x, 4.x recommended)
a) SDL >= 1.2.10 (you can use any version lower down to 1.2.5.
dont report bugs if you do so)
b) SDL_image (PNG support required)
d) libvorbisfile, libvorbis and family
e) sigc++ 2.x (1.x is not supported)
f) expat - XML parsing library
4) you could add something like this in 'options.cache' file
(located in trunk/ directory):
CCFLAGS = ' -O -march=YOUR_CPU -mtune=YOUR_CPU '
CXXFLAGS = ' -O -march=YOUR_CPU -mtune=YOUR_CPU '