This document explains how to install extra scanner drivers not included in the base distribution of sane. These drivers support:
* HP 4200
* HP 3300C
* HP 4300C
* Agfa Snapscan Touch
* HP 4400C
* HP 4470C
Note: I've only installed the HP 4300C with this procedure. I'm not sure if the other scanners on the list need extra steps or not. Folks are encouraged to add to this document.
1. Make sure the universe repository is enabled. The easiest way to do this is probably through synaptic. There is lots of documentation on this (and most folks have done it), so I won't go through it here.
2. Get the drivers:
sudo apt-get install libsane-extras
3. Edit the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and enable the right driver for your scanner. Look for the lines that say:
# The following backends are not part of the SANE distribution
# but are provided by the libsane-extras Debian package
Below it are several commented out lines. Uncomment (delete the #) the right one for your scanner, as follows:
* HP 4200 - uncomment the hp4200 line.
* HP 3300C, HP 3400C, HP 4300C, Afga Snapscan Touch - uncomment the niash line.
* HP 4400C, HP 4470C - uncomment the hp_rts88xx line.
4.) Fire up sane and scan away.
Note: Because of the way Linux's hotplugging stuff works, you may need to plug in the scanner after the computer has booted. If you're having problems seeing the scanner, you might want to try this.