Counter-Strike 2D is more than just a freeware 2D clone of the most famous tactical multiplayer shooter ever! You can play it like Counter-Strike by Valve Software. Plant and defuse bombs, rescue hostages or escort the V.I.P.! In addition to the original Counter-Strike map types (as, cs, de) you can play some new map types like ctf (Capture the Flag) or dom (Domination). Moreover you have different game modes in Counter-Strike 2D. Why don't you play a fast-paced deathmatch session? There's also a construction mode in CS2D! Build walls, barbed wire and turrets to protect your base! Even a zombie mode is included!
- Online Gaming (WWW & Lan)
- Offline Gaming with and versus Bots
- All Weapons from Counter-Strike
- All CS Missions like Hostage Rescue or Bomb Planting
- 3D accelerated Special FX
- 3D Sounds
- Fog of War for tactical Gaming
- Dynamic Entity System with Triggers
- Console & Scripting
- Easy to use Map Editor
- U.S.G.N. (Unreal Software Gaming Network) Support (Serverlist & Friends System)
- New Map/Mission-Types like Capture the Flag and Domination
- New Game Modes like Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Construction and Zombies!
- Many additional Weapons like RPG-Launcher, Laser, Molotov Cocktail, ... and many more!
- Stats and Ranking System
- Lua 5.1.4 Scripting Support for customized Servers
I can't join a multiplayer game / nobody can join or see my server. What's wrong?
Check your firewall and router settings! Remember: Win XP/Vista has its own firewall! The default port of Counter-Strike 2D is UDP Port 36963.
Click the following link to get further information for firewall/router setup:www.portforward.com
or visit the website of your firewall/router manufacturer.
Counter-Strike 2D multiplayer does not support proxy servers!
As server host:
- Also make sure that "Offline/LAN" (sv_lan) is DISABLED (0)!
- Moreover make sure that you see the IP of your server in the CS2D serverlist!
- Read this guide/checklist if you still have problems!
I can't find any servers in the serverlist!
This can be caused by an U.S.G.N. overload! Open the console with the console-button (default ~ or ^) to get detailed information about the problem. You can check the U.S.G.N. state at this website too (Serverlist)!
Alternative proceeding to join a server: Click at "Connect to IP" and paste the ip of the server you want to join.
How can I fight lags and bugs at online games?
Try to play with less players or find a faster server! You should not play with more than 6 players if the server has only a normal dsl connection! Don't forget to pause all downloads/uploads during online gaming!
I want to host a game. What's my IP?
Click here to get your IP!
Other players can join with the "Connect to IP" button using your ip.
Is there a dedicated server software for CS2D?
Yes! There is dedicated server software for both: Windows and Linux servers!
You can find and download them at the download-page!
How to play CS2D in a LAN? Is it possible?
Of course it is! Just setup a normal server and activate the "Offline/LAN" checkbox (this is only necessary if your LAN is connected to the internet and you don't want that people from the internet join!).
Other players should now be able to join your server by selecting the LAN-tab in the serverlist! Try "Connect to IP" if your server will not be listed!
Do NOT activate "U.S.G.N. users only" when playing in a LAN!
Use port 36963 for LAN servers only! Otherwise you will not see them in your LAN list!
What's "ping"/"latency" and "ping timeout"?
A "ping" is a message which is sent from one pc to another one and back to check whether it is online and reachable. It is measured in milliseconds the message needed for its journey (1 sec=1000 millisecs).
A "ping timeout" means that a ping message has not been sent back within a timeframe which indicates that the remote pc is not reachable. Please read the first question/answer if you are getting ping timeout errors!
CS2D also uses the term "latency" for "ping". You can see your the ping for certain servers by moving your mose over them. You can also see your own ping while playing by pressing the tab key!
You need a ping of about 100 or lower to have a good game experience. Otherwise the game will start to lag and to jerk and you will not hit your enemies!
Why does CS2D close itself after launching?
This is probably caused by problems with your system.
Some possible problems with solution:
- No internet connection -> Go online
- Problems with network device -> Get the latest drivers
- Firewalls / Antivirus -> Configurate or turn off
- Outdated system -> Run Windows update
- Outdated drivers (graphics/sounds) -> Get the latest drivers
- Outdated DirectX version -> Get the latest version
- General problems with graphcis -> Try all modes with Launcher.exe
- Other software -> Quit all applications you don't need
In most cases some updates should fix the problem!
The game says that I'm a cheater/hacker! Why?
It is either right or it detected a hack where no hack is. This seems to happen on certain systems. In order to fix this problem, please do the following:
- Download undodetection.exe at cs2d.com
- Put it in your CS2D folder and run it!
- Now CS2D should work again.
Why do I get the error "Memory Access Violation"?
It's an internal bug of Counter-Strike 2D! It can have many various reasons. You can try the following steps to fix it:
- Check your DirectX/Direct3D and install the latest version
- Install the latest (or older) drivers for your video card. You need a 3D video card which supports Direct3D or OpenGL to run CS2D!
If the error occurs after seeing the "Unreal Software" intro you should check your internet connection and your firewall and router settings (see first question). It also can be evoked by using a proxy server.
I get an error like "Graphics Mode XXX does not work!" when I run Counter-Strike 2D?
Counter-Strike 2D requires a 3D video card which supports Direct3D or OpenGL! If your card supports Direct3D/OpenGL: Install the latest drivers and the latest version of DirectX!
Please also try the Launcher.exe! There are some different settings available. Try to play windowed or fullscreen and try DirectX and OpenGL!
There is only a black screen?! / I Just see some squares?!
Your video card presumably doesn't support 3D with alpha (transparency)! Try OpenGL and DirectX and update your drivers.
Your video card is probably too slow for CS2D if nothing of this helps.
Counter-Strike 2D has problems with my screen resolution. Any solution?
Try different modes with the Launcher.exe! Please note that graphics will not be scaled in different resolutions! It is normal that you just see a black border around the game!
Why do some graphics look so blurred?
This may happen with some video cards. Try DirectX and OpenGL with Launcher.exe! Maybe one works better for your system!
Minimum System Requirements for the CS2D Client*
Your pc should fit at least the following requirements to run the CS2D client.
(You don't need a video card to run a dedicated server!)
- 16 mb 3D video card with DirectX 7 or OpenGL support
- 500 mhz cpu
- 64 mb ram
- 30 mb free disk space
- Win 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista or 7 / Linux + libstdc++ / MacOSX (Intel)
*) Requirements are estimated. It's possible that the game runs well on slower systems or lags on faster systems!