Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia editing/creation flavour of Ubuntu. It's built for the GNU/Linux audio, video, and graphic enthusiast or professional.
The Ubuntu Studio team is proud to announce its first release: 7.04 for Intel i386-compatible processors. With this release, which you can download for DVD in little over 860 MiB, we offer a feature that is somewhat reminiscent of Ubuntu Server: on installation, you can choose between the Audio, Graphics or Video tasks; and choose also to install a number of plugins, which for this release is mainly aimed at audio production.
We have endeavoured to keep as many of our packages in the standard Ubuntu repositories as possible. Certain packages, such as wired and our art packages, are kept in an external repository and fully up to Ubuntu packaging standards. Be aware however, that this is only a temporary solution and we will be pushing all our packages into Ubuntu for the next release.
The Audio task also provides a different kernel to the Video and Graphics tasks, which has low latency to enable easy JACK work, and for Gutsy we will be providing a fully realtime enabled setup. We have built upon the usability and support of Ubuntu as a foundation, and are certain that this was a wise choice, for we have access to a wide range of packages in the repository, and a stable base system.
For the video task, we have chosen the GStreamer-based PiTiVi as our central NLE. PiTiVi is written in Ubuntu's favourite scripting language, Python, and the GStreamer back-end enables it to use all the GStreamer-compatible codecs that are installed, and thus taking advantage of Feisty's Easy Codec Installation. It also uses our favourite widget set, GTK+, and thus keeps with the theme and flow of the Ubuntu Studio desktop, and tries also to stay usable in any environment, in keeping with Ubuntu Studio's aim that media production should be simple and accessible.
We have also packaged Ardour 2, which will debut on our disc. Our theme is heavily based around the dark style of Ardour and many other audio applications, and we are trying to have a release that is as integrated as possible with all of our applications and tasks.
Finally, the Graphics task deserves some attention. We have included a very wide range of very high quality applications that are also very well known. What we have done is added to this selection (with Enblend, for example), and brought them all together into a coherent set. Some main packages to note are the GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, Hugin and Scribus, which are all provided with a default install of the Ubuntu Studio Graphics task.
As our wiki page at [WWW] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio
states: "Our aim is to make it more accessible for new users to get into the tools that GNU/Linux has to offer for multimedia creation/production. We also want to spotlight what's out there. Show users tools they might not have know existed." We have certainly fulfilled that aim with our first release with 7.04, and can only continue to improve.
Thanks to all who helped in Ubuntu Studios creation! Bring on the show!
sudo su -c 'echo deb http://archive.ubuntustudio.org/ubuntustudio feisty main >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
wget -q http://archive.ubuntustudio.org/ubuntustudio.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
* ardour - Digital audio workstation (graphical gtk2 interface) (This is Ardour 2)
* ardour-i686 - Digital audio workstation (graphical gtk2 interface) [i686] (This is Ardour 2)
* ubuntustudio-desktop - Makes up our base desktop install.
* ubuntustudio-audio - Ubuntu Studio audio package
* ubuntustudio-audio-plugins - Ubuntu Studio audio plugins package
* ubuntustudio-graphics - Ubuntu Studio graphics package
* ubuntustudio-video - Ubuntu Studio video package
* ubuntustudio-artwork - UbuntuStudio themes and artwork
* ubuntustudio-gdm-theme - Ubuntu Studio GDM theme
* ubuntustudio-icon-theme - UbuntuStudio Icon theme
* ubuntustudio-look - Ubuntustudio look (metapackage)
* ubuntustudio-session-splashes - Ubuntu Studio Session splashes
* ubuntustudio-sounds - Ubuntu Studio's GNOME audio theme
* ubuntustudio-screensaver - Ubuntu Studio's floating logo screensaver
* ubuntustudio-theme - Ubuntu Studio look - GTK and Metacity theme
* ubuntustudio-wallpapers - Ubuntu Studio - Wallpapers
* usplash-theme-ubuntustudio - Usplash theme for Ubuntustudio
* wired - Audio creation free software for Linux