The chinese support in Ubuntu 6.06 is terrible.

系统字体配置、中文显示和输入法问题
回复
nilei
帖子: 4
注册时间: 2006-08-11 20:20

The chinese support in Ubuntu 6.06 is terrible.

帖子 nilei » 2006-08-11 20:24

I am using the latest version of ubuntu on my machine and found the chinese support is still terrible. Compared with the default chinese font (or font configuration) used in FC5, the one in ubuntu looks not good. It is also not easy to get the chinese input system working and that is the reason why I am writing this in english now.

Yes, agreed, linux/ubuntu is free and people are donating their own free hours on it to make things possible and better, my question here is after so many years why it is that difficult to make the chinese support better in a distribution? Most of the linux users are still using the windows font files and usually one of the first things they do after installation is so called "optimization for chinese appearance", why that can't be done in ubuntu out-of-box?

I can do the same "optimization" for my ubuntu in about 10mins, steal a copy of the windows font files, change a dozen of settings and after rebooting my x for like 10 times, things will be better. But why we can't make it default?

I am not trying to complain anything here, just want to share my terrible experience as a 5 years linux user and developer.
hj2ct
帖子: 1
注册时间: 2006-08-11 23:41

帖子 hj2ct » 2006-08-11 23:57

Totally agree with you!
I hope we can do some thing on that. When finishing a new installation, the first thing is configuring the chinese interface such as installing the chinese input methods, choosing a good-looking font, etc. I do not want to change everything in chinese, just wanna see the chinese characters properply whenever it appears on the screen.
Could it be a default configuration in the X-Enviroment (KDE, GNOME, XFCE)?
frhong
帖子: 2
注册时间: 2006-08-10 0:27

帖子 frhong » 2006-08-12 1:38

我觉得应该是很多已经被人习惯了的Windows font都有copyright的,所以坚持FREE的Linux不能加入到默认设置里面。就像刚刚安装了的ubuntu连MP3都不能播放一样,因为mp3这种格式并不是free的,除非你自己想加上去。

其实对于玩Linux的朋友来说,也许自己动手弄这些东西才是一种乐趣。
liguoji
帖子: 13
注册时间: 2006-08-13 22:20

不知道你为什么会这么想,可能是你还没有设置好吧!

帖子 liguoji » 2006-08-13 22:26

只需要以下几步:
1. 添加中文语言支持。
2. sudo sh -c " echo 'export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM ; export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE="scim" ; scim -d ' > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95xinput "
3. sudo fontconfig-voodoo -f -s zh_CN
4. 设置字体为AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni.
networker
帖子: 419
注册时间: 2006-02-06 21:06
来自: Shanghai,China
联系:

帖子 networker » 2006-08-15 17:30

Yes . I agree with the first and the second floor's idea.
Yesterday i updated my system to 6.06.1
But i found a terrible Input method for Chinese .So fat i haven't found way to slove it .
Why not put Chinese Input method into default system.
qsc
帖子: 5
注册时间: 2006-08-16 22:37

Re: 不知道你为什么会这么想,可能是你还没有设置好吧!

帖子 qsc » 2006-08-19 23:03

liguoji 写了:只需要以下几步:
1. 添加中文语言支持。
2. sudo sh -c " echo 'export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM ; export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE="scim" ; scim -d ' > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95xinput "
3. sudo fontconfig-voodoo -f -s zh_CN
4. 设置字体为AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni.

第一步,我自己已做;
第二,三步,我照你所说的做了;
第四步我做了又取消,因为发现修改后,显示效果,特别是英文显示效果很差。

我的问题是,你的第二,三步的目的是美化字体,还是设置中文输入?请赐教。谢谢!
bbbush
帖子: 3
注册时间: 2005-12-13 18:08

Re: The chinese support in Ubuntu 6.06 is terrible.

帖子 bbbush » 2006-08-20 0:01

nilei 写了:I am using the latest version of ubuntu on my machine and found the chinese support is still terrible. Compared with the default chinese font (or font configuration) used in FC5, the one in ubuntu looks not good. It is also not easy to get the chinese input system working and that is the reason why I am writing this in english now.

Yes, agreed, linux/ubuntu is free and people are donating their own free hours on it to make things possible and better, my question here is after so many years why it is that difficult to make the chinese support better in a distribution? Most of the linux users are still using the windows font files and usually one of the first things they do after installation is so called "optimization for chinese appearance", why that can't be done in ubuntu out-of-box?

I can do the same "optimization" for my ubuntu in about 10mins, steal a copy of the windows font files, change a dozen of settings and after rebooting my x for like 10 times, things will be better. But why we can't make it default?

I am not trying to complain anything here, just want to share my terrible experience as a 5 years linux user and developer.
别追打了,没啥意思。我只觉得是文档不全面,不是 ubuntu 技术上有错。如果文档里说一下“默认只安装英文的话,应该如何如何继续设置”,那么就不会有这样的吵架。在 fedora6 中,如果默认只安装英文,也许会出相同的问题,也许不会.. 到时候再说吧。
头像
huangjiahua
帖子: 3294
注册时间: 2005-03-30 0:27
联系:

帖子 huangjiahua » 2006-08-20 0:43

http://bbbush.livejournal.com/131020.html

再上面的

代码: 全选

sudo apt-get install scim-pinyin im-switch ttf-arphic-uming
是装上输入法和中文字体, 虽然 GUI 里选中文支持也会安装, 但是整个中文支持还包括了中文翻译,拼写检查等,
这里只要其中的中文字体和中文输入法就可以了